|“||We stand at a critical moment in Earth's history, a time when humanity must choose its future. As the world becomes increasingly interdependent and fragile, the future at once holds great peril and great promise. To move forward we must recognize that in the midst of a magnificent diversity of cultures and life forms we are one human family and one Earth community with a common destiny. We must join together to bring forth a sustainable global society founded on respect for nature, universal human rights, economic justice, and a culture of peace. Towards this end, it is imperative that we, the peoples of Earth, declare our responsibility to one another, to the greater community of life, and to future generations.||”|
- 1. Respect Earth and life in all its diversity.
- 2. Care for the community of life with understanding, compassion and love.
- 3. Build democratic societies that are just, participatory, sustainable and peaceful.
- 4. Secure Earth's bounty and beauty for present and future generations.
- 5. Protect and restore the integrity of Earth's ecological systems, with special concern for biological diversity and the natural processes that sustain life.
- 6. Prevent harm as the best method of environmental protection and, when knowledge is limited, apply a precautionary approach.
- 7. Adopt patterns of production, consumption and reproduction that safeguard Earth's regenerative capacities, human rights and community well-being.
- 8. Advance the study of ecological sustainability and promote the open exchange and wide application of the knowledge acquired.
- 9. Eradicate poverty as an ethical, social and environmental imperative.
- 10. Ensure that economic activities and institutions at all levels promote human development in an equitable and sustainable manner.
- 11. Affirm gender equality and equity as prerequisites to sustainable development and ensure universal access to education, health care and economic opportunity.
- 12. Uphold the right of all, without discrimination, to a natural and social environment supportive of human dignity, bodily health and spiritual well-being, with special attention to the rights of indigenous peoples and minorities.
- 13. Strengthen democratic institutions at all levels, and provide transparency and accountability in governance, inclusive participation in decision-making, and access to justice.
- 14. Integrate into formal education and lifelong learning the knowledge, values and skills needed for a sustainable way of life.
- 15. Treat all living beings with respect and consideration.
- 16. Promote a culture of tolerance, nonviolence and peace.